Thursday, March 7, 2013

Why I Believe in Video

I'm often invited to marketing meetings, because I've been an advertising writer, creative director and/or  video and audio producer for thirty years. By now I'm happy to say it's something I know something about.

My solutions to marketing problems are almost always video or audio, and it's not unusual for someone to point that out and say that it's because I'm in the video and audio production business.

That's true, I am, but I wasn't always. I started out as a print copywriter, first for Eddie Bauer, then companies like McDonald's, Schucks, Bank of America, Holland America/Westours, and Starbucks.

I've written millions of words for print and helped to sell a ton of stuff.

The World Keeps Changing

Do I still believe in print? Yes and no. As a novelist, receiving a regular check from Amazon for both electronic and paperback sales, enthusiastically yes!

In sales, not so much. You know yourself that you don't read as much. If you're like me, you feel that you don't have the time, and that there is probably a more efficient way to get the information. 

There is, of course, and that's where video comes in. 

Video Attracts

I tell people to imagine a short, informative video as a dry fly tempting a trout. The video isn't going to catch the trout. Video doesn't make the sale, you do. Video is a quick and efficient way to interest a sales prospect. To get them to call, click, stop by ... whatever it takes. 

Here are a couple of ways that video works wonders. 

1. Fundraising. The classic model is to show the need, not the pathos, but the triumph of what can be done if people like you contribute.

But that's not the whole story. Another way to fundraise with video, is to put a short–emphasis on short–video on your website and let one or more of your contributors talk about why they give. It's very difficult to find a font that replicates passion

2. Something new. Even people who send out YouTube links to cool gadgets often forget that they could be sending out similar links to videos of their own new stuff. Yeah, you!

For example, say you're a hospital outside the metro area and you spent a lot of money for a tool you needed, but don't get to use very much. So it sits. Although you're keenly aware of it, chances are the man (or woman) on your streets has no idea it's there, and that it would save them tremendously having to go to the city for a mundane procedure. 

And it doesn't have to be a gadget. Could be a new employee who does something wonderful, a new procedure, and so forth. Video says "hey, look at this!" better than anything.

3. Testimonial. Yes I do talk about testimonials a great deal. It's not just a chance to have other people praise you (instead of or in addition to praising yourself), it's also a left-handed way of saying "hey! I do this other thing too!

For example, I've been a film maker for twenty years, but still occasionally write something for someone. If I put up a writing testimonial, prospects know that's another arrow in my quiver, something else I can bring to the party. 

And, it means that I put together a video with a concept. Not just stitching images to music. 

Not Just Video on Your Site

So video on your site is not just video on your site. For as little as a few hundred dollars, video is a power tool on your site, attracting, inspiring, motivating ... and saving time. And unlike the fleeting TV spot or newspaper ad, video is on your site long, long after it's more than paid for itself. 

So yeah, I like video. 

And that's it from here. Be Well. Do well. And call or write anytime with questions. 

Jonathan 

No comments:

Post a Comment